Andrew McWilliams is a New York-based artist, technologist and program director. He is Director of the ThoughtWorks Arts Residency and a Lead Consultant at ThoughtWorks. Andrew has exhibited work at HarvestWorks New York, Currents New Mexico, and AlphaVille Festival in London. He is Director of Art-A-Hack™ and the Hardware Hack Lab.
The ThoughtWorks Arts Residency supports artists exploring new lines of inquiry intersecting technology and society.
The aim of this program is to facilitate dialog, partnership and collaboration at the intersection of technology and exploratory arts. By focusing on this synthesis, the program aims to empower resident artists to make work which inspires shifts in perspective and debate.
Artists are invited spend 16 weeks in residence in New York, at ThoughtWorks, a global technology consultancy. During their stay, artists receive a regular stipend and project production support from a global network of analysts, designers, developers and other experts in the company.
ThoughtWorks runs the residency out of an desire to openly experiment, collaborate and share ideas with those asking hard questions about emerging technologies. Therefore, artists own all physical and intellectual property generated during their stay.
Ellen Pearlman is a new media artist, curator, writer and critic. She received her PhD from the School of Creative Media, Hong Kong City University, where she premiered her brain opera "Noor", an interactive immersive performance in a 360° theater. Ellen is on the faculty of Parsons/New School University, Director of the Volumetric Society of New York, and President of Art-A-Hack™.
We send out occasional newsletter updates to keep you informed of our residents and their progress. We also include information from our other creative technology initiatives, such as Art-A-Hack and Hardware Hack Lab.
To learn more browse the listing below, or head over to our newsletters page.
- May 22, 2019: Rashin Fahandej Awarded Volumetric Filmmaking Residency
- April 23, 2019: Adrianne Wortzel Previews The Sentient Thespian at Pioneer Works
- April 2, 2019: New Trajectories in Volumetric Filmmaking with Scatter
- January 22, 2019: Robotic Artist Residents in the News
- September 14, 2018: New Robotics, AI, and Climate Change projects at ThoughtWorks Arts
- May 30, 2018: ThoughtWorks Arts Artists Recognized for Work with BCIs
- April 26, 2018: Mechanics & Movement: Announcing Our New Robotics Residents
- April 10, 2018: Karen Palmer’s AI Residency Comes to a Close
- March 1, 2018: ThoughtWorks Arts at SPRING/BREAK Art Show in NYC
- February 1, 2018: Art-A-Hack Special Edition CYFEST 2018 in St. Petersburg
- December 7, 2017: ThoughtWorks Arts at RIXC Art Science Festival
- October 17, 2017: How Art and Technology Predict the Future
- September 7, 2017: Residency Director Ellen Pearlman Awarded a Fulbright Specialist Grant
- July 28, 2017: Implications of AI: Meet our New Resident
- May 16, 2017: Artificial Intelligence, Biometrics, VR and Brain Surveillance
- March 1, 2017: Bio-feedback in VR: Meet our next Artist-in-Residence
- October 5, 2016: ThoughtWorks Arts: Panel, Residency and Art-A-Hack
Subscribe to our mailing list below to get these updates in your email inbox, usually sent around once every quarter.