ThoughtWorks Arts in collaboration with groundbreaking film studio Scatter teamed up on March 16-17 to run a free community workshop for 24 participants. Together, they taught artists, technologists, designers and filmmakers the newest version of the Depthkit technology.
Scatter, a Brooklyn-based creative company, produces immersive experiences, provides tools and training, and empowers creators using volumetric filmmaking techniques.Workshop attendees came from Toronto, Philadelphia and the greater New York metropolitan area to disseminate what they learned back to their respective communities. Weekly Support will be ongoing for learning and experimenting with Depthkit at Hardware Hack Lab held in conjunction with the Volumetric Society.
ThoughtWorks Arts Announces Volumetric Filmmaking Residency
ThoughtWorks Arts, in partnership with Scatter, has published an Open Call for a funded artist residency focusing on depth technology in New York City over the summer. Applications are open until April 25th.
We seek artists to explore approaches around, but not limited to:
- Mixed reality
- Multi-user interaction
To apply for this residency please read the Open Call and use the form provided.
Ellen Pearlman, ThoughtWorks Arts Director, Named EU Vertigo STARTS Laureate
Ellen Pearlman has been named a 2019 Vertigo STARTS Laureate. The Vertigo project is a Coordination and Support Action supported by the Horizon 2020 Program of the European Commission. Announced during STARTS Residency Days at the Pompidou Art Center in Paris, Vertigo is designed to bring innovation and sustainability to the nexus of technology, science and the arts to Europe. Ellen’s residency will be based in Estonia at the Human Computer Interaction Lab at Tallinn University, where she will be researching and prototyping a new emotionally intelligent, artificially intelligent brain computer interface opera called “AIBO”.
News From Past ThoughtWorks Arts Residents
Moon Ribas will be a juror for this year’s Prix Ars Electronica.
hannes bend launched breathing.ai, which was presented as a first prototype at TransTech Conference, and will demo at Collision Conference where the project was selected from a competitive pool. The breathing.ai project was also mentioned in a recent Forbes article. hannes is part of a team which recently created a healthcare AR project at MIT.
Heather Dewey-Hagborg co-curated Refiguring The Future, a politically engaged exhibition focusing on inclusion, and how the intersection of art, science and technology is an explicitly key force in radical change. This was REFRESH’s inaugural exhibition, which received a Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation grant.
Catie Cuan gave a TED Talk on Teaching Robots How to Dance.
Updates from Art-A-Hack™ Alumni
Tyler Parker had a debut as a tenor in Frederick Fleet in The Village Light Opera Group presents: TITANIC the Musical!
Rena Anakwe presents The Cosmology Of Water, an interactive performance, during her residency at Issue Project Room.
Sharon de la Cruz was a guest speaker and educator at Processing Community Day at Medios Interactivos USFQ.
Updates from Volumetric Society Speakers
De Kai has been named to Google’s external AI Advisory Council, an advisory group which helps “advance the responsible development of AI”.
Tobias Gremmler is creating visuals for Bjork’s Cornucopia at the Shed, set to debut May 6 at 7pm.
Heather Dewey-Hagborg (Past Resident) SPIRIT MOLECULE Lifespace Science Art Research Gallery, University of Dundee Dundee, Scotland
Karen Palmer Our Brain On AI : Who’s In Control, Me or The Machine? The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
Andrew McWilliams How Technologists Can Flight Climate Change
- PBS Features ThoughtWorks Arts Resident & Interaction Technology by the Residency Team
- EmoPy: A Machine Learning Toolkit For Emotional Expression by Angelica Perez
- Industrial Robotics and Human Movement: New Experiments by the Residency Team
- Recognizing Human Facial Expression With Machine Learning by Angelica Perez
- How Arts Programs Drive Innovation at ThoughtWorks by Andrew McWilliams
- How Artists Are Reshaping Emerging Technology Research by Andrew McWilliams
- Robotics Artists Begin Their Residencies at ThoughtWorks by the Residency Team
- Karen Palmer: The Film That Watches You Back by the Residency Team
- Adrianne Wortzel and Catie Cuan Awarded Robotics Residency by the Residency Team
- ThoughtWorks Arts Exhibition at SPRING/BREAK for Armory Week 2018 by the Residency Team
- How Artificial Intelligence is Transforming the Criminal Justice System by Stephanie Weber
- Industrial Design Process for the ‘Time Sense’ Prototype by Oryan Inbar
- Heather Dewey-Hagborg and Chelsea Manning show at Fridman Gallery by Ellen Pearlman
- Welcoming Karen Palmer to the ThoughtWorks Arts Residency by the Residency Team
- Presenting Our Art & Technology Projects at TEDxVilnius by Andrew McWilliams
- Karen Palmer Awarded ThoughtWorks AI Residency by the Residency Team
- Three Views on Biometrics and Immersion for Creative Tech Week by the Residency Team
- Why We Are Investigating the Biases of Artificial Intelligence by the Residency Directors
- Welcoming Hannes Bend to the ThoughtWorks Arts Residency by the Residency Team
- Suppressed Images: Advocating for Chelsea Manning’s Release by the Residency Team
- How I Became a Cyborg by Stefanie Grewenig
- Cyborg Senses: Weaving the Materials by Caihong Liu
- Heather Dewey-Hagborg Begins Residency at ThoughtWorks by the Residency Team
- Developing a Cyborg Time Sense: Research and Experimentation by Andrew McWilliams
- Global Visioning Session with the Cyborgs by Andrew McWilliams
- Inside Our Brand New Lab at ThoughtWorks NYC by the Residency Team
- Discussing the residency on dotNYC with Jeff Jarvis by Andrew McWilliams
- Introducing the Cyborg Foundation by the Residency Team
- Announcing the ThoughtWorks artist residency by the Residency Team